You should take care of your teeth all year round, but there are few extra important tips for summer dental hygiene. Check out this list we’ve put together in order to make sure you are doing your part and staying safe.
- Drink lots of water – It is important to make sure that both you and the kids are not drinking too many sugary drinks this summer. It is easy to just grab a bunch of juice boxes or a glass of lemonade on a hot afternoon. But all the sugar in your drinks will lead to tooth decay and other problems for your body. Instead, make yourself infused water with pieces of fruit or herbs to add flavor to your drinks.
- Pack healthy snacks – When you are on vacation or headed to the beach, it is easy to default to packaged snacks. If you take a little time and plan ahead, you can just as easily pack fruits and veggies to snack on at your destination. Get some reusable snack containers and wash a whole bunch of berries, grapes, or cut up watermelon to take with you. This will help you avoid the urge to grab a sugary snack instead.
- Use floss regularly – Barbeque foods are most likely to get stuck in your teeth. Corn on the cob, steak, and other stringy foods can get left in your teeth, leaving your mouth susceptible to cavities and gum disease. Be sure to floss regularly to avoid these hazards of summer.
- Be safe – Many summer activities can be dangerous. Be sure to take safety precautions such as riding a bike with a helmet or wearing an appropriate mouth guard. Avoiding dental injury is the best policy.
- Schedule your dental appointment while the kids are home from school – This is an easy time of year to schedule your appointments. Just be sure to call your dentist ahead of time because other families may have the same idea.
Call Hidden Smiles to make your appointment today. We have flexible times available and will be happy to work with your schedule. If you haven’t been to the dentist in a while, now is the time to schedule yourself and your whole family a cleaning.