Invisalign is an exciting alternative to traditional braces for straightening crooked teeth or correcting uneven spacing between them. Instead of the hard brackets associated with metal or ceramic braces, Invisalign utilizes comfortable, soft aligner trays. The trays can even be removed when eating, brushing or flossing.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an exciting alternative to traditional braces for giving you a beautiful, straight smile. Traditional braces move the teeth through the use of hard brackets and wires. Invisalign moves the teeth using custom-fit soft aligners. There is no metal or ceramic hardware. The soft trays are flexible and fit comfortably over the top and bottom rows of teeth. Every few weeks a different set of trays is provided. Each new set has a slightly different positioning of the teeth which is how the teeth are gently moved into place over time.
Advantages of Invisalign Over Metal or Ceramic Braces
There are several advantages to choosing Invisalign over traditional braces for straightening your smile. Traditional braces can be uncomfortable as the metal or ceramic brackets and wires can poke and irritate the mouth. Further, for both metal and ceramic braces, the brackets are cemented into place on the teeth and cannot be removed except by a dentist or orthodontist. Additionally, for metal braces specifically, they are readily noticeable to others since they are silver in color. None of these factors is a concern with Invisalign.
Invisalign remedies many of the perceived disadvantages often associated with traditional braces. If you are hesitant to get traditional braces but want to straighten your smile, Invisalign might be the solution. Ask Dr. Mita Parikh of Hidden Smiles Orthodontics in Huntington, Long Island if Invisalign can work for you.
Some advantages of Invisalign include:
- The aligner trays are clear, making them discreet and unnoticeable.
- The aligner trays are made from flexible, soft plastic and are comfortable to wear.
- There are no hard metal or ceramic brackets and wires to poke or irritate the mouth.
- The aligner trays are removable and can be taken out when eating or drinking to prevent food bits from getting trapped in the trays.
- Trays can be removed to more thoroughly brush and floss between teeth.
- Since trays fit over the teeth, they provide protection against excessive wear for individuals who regularly grind or clench their teeth.
Invisalign gives you the opportunity to straighten your smile discreetly without conspicuous and uncomfortable hard brackets and wires.
For Invisalign on Long Island, schedule an appointment with Dr. Parikh by calling Hidden Smiles at (631) 824-6353.